Temple of Kardaki
The temple is situated in the steep coast of Analipsi (inside the Mon Repos area), straight over the hillside, headed towards the sea. It is a small dimensioned Doric temple (11,91x25,5) of the late archaic years, in its east part there has been landslide towards the sea. It was revealed by the British in 1822.
From all Corfu’s temples, this temple is in the best condition. Six columns laid in the narrow sides and twelve in each long side. Inside the alcove there was an altar. The temple shows some architectural particularities that have to do with the consolidation of the Ionic style and the influence of the migrating architecture of Magna Grecia. The name “Kardaki” was given due to the name of a fountain found in its area. Its connection to the cult of Poseidon or Apollo hasn’t been verified by the excavations. Two retaining walls from the British period support the soil in the east and south part of the temple. Behind these walls, two other walls from the archaic times were revealed by the British in 1822 joined and creating a right corner, taller than the fountain of Kardaki.
Another view of the temple
Look for the RED Fire HOSE Box for the next instruction!!!